On August 18, 2012, a large section of a bathroom ceiling at the Aladdin collapsed. Fortunately, no residents were injured. Residents report that before the collapse, the ceiling had been dripping water for days.
Residents also report that water has been dripping from Aladdin bathroom light fixtures for years. Water and electricity are never a good mix--electrical wiring and light fixtures exposed to water can short out and cause sparks that can set insulation, wood, and drywall alight. It also poses a severe electrocution risk.
These are dangerous, unacceptable housing conditions. Whatever inspection regime is in place to monitor conditions at the Aladdin homeless shelter (DHS? Buildings Dept?) has clearly failed, and failed over a period of years.